Wharf Shed - Glenorchy

Glenorchy sits at the northern tip of Lake Wakatipu, about 30 miles from Queenstown. Settlers arrived in the 1860s seeking sheep-grazing land, followed by gold and scheelite prospectors.

For nearly a century the only access was by steamboat, making the simple wharf shed the heart of town life. Passengers rarely stepped ashore, however, because the ageing wharf was so unsteady it was compared to “walking the plank.”

By the mid-1950s the town’s 250 residents pushed for a road to Queenstown. Two determined locals drove the project. Reta Groves (born 1922) grew up on a remote sheep farm and worked as a “land girl” during World War II.

Tommy Thomson, a mining engineer and surveyor who had escaped the fall of Singapore, was posted to Glenorchy to survey scheelite. They met at a village dance through a proverb-matching game—“Birds of a feather… flock together”—and married in 1945.

Reta grew frustrated with the unreliable steamer service, especially when travelling for the births of their three children. She insisted on a road. Tommy surveyed the difficult glacial terrain, rallied villagers, and they bulldozed and camped in shifts until the road was finished.

In 1962 Reta became the first woman to drive over it during Centennial celebrations.

With the road open, commercial steamer use of the wharf ended. Yet every time the shed has been washed away, collapsed or destroyed, the community has rebuilt it.

Today the sign faces the village rather than the water. The building houses a historical society and small museum telling the story of the landscape, changing transport, and the couple who helped transform Glenorchy. Tommy and Reta remained married for nearly seventy years; he died in 2014 and she two years later.